- Type ‘cmd’ into the search box
- Right click and run ‘cmd’ as administrator
- Type ‘sfc / scannow’ into the Command Prompt and hit Enter
The process of verification will take a little time.
Change Sample Rate
- Look for the sound icon at the right-hand bottom corner of the screen
- Right-click on it and choose ‘Playback devices’
- Look for the sound card within the Playback tab
- Click on it and then click on ‘properties’
- Click on ‘advanced’ tab
- The default sample rate is 16 bit, 44100 Hz
- Change and test other sample rates – such as 16 bit, 48000 Hz
- Click on the ‘apply’ button
If you see that there is no default sample rate, click ‘restore defaults’.
Disable Audio Enhancements
- Locate the speaker icon on the bottom right corner of the desktop
- Right-click on it and click on ‘playback devices’
- Click on the Playback tab
- Click on ‘sound card’
- Click on ‘properties’
- Click on ‘enhancements’ tab
- Locate ‘disable all enhancements’ and check the box right next to it
- Click on ‘apply’
Reinstall Audio Drivers
Another cause behind the Error Failed to Play Test Tone Windows PC Speakers error can be corrupted audio drivers. If the above-mentioned steps didn’t help you fix the issue, you should follow these steps to reinstall the audio drivers:
- Open ‘device manager’
- Locate ‘sound, video and game controllers’ and expand it
- Right click on the specific name of your audio device
- Click ‘uninstall’
- Restart the computer after the un-installation is complete
Windows is going to automatically install the basic audio driver. If you notice that the error still persists, you should download the latest audio driver and install it.
Delete KB974571 Update
If you are facing the Error Failed to Play Test Tone Windows PC Speakers Issue in your Windows 7 system, you should delete the KB974571 update if the issue is not addressed by the above-mentioned steps.
- Open ‘control panel’
- Open ‘find the programs and features’
- Locate ‘view installed updates’ (can be seen in the top left) and open it
- Locate the ‘KB974571’ update
- Click on ‘select the uninstall’
It may be required to restart the system before completion of this process. Save all the work (preferably create a backup) before doing so.
Add Local Service within the Local Users & Groups
The Error Failed to Play Test Tone Windows HDMI error is different from the concerned audio issue here, but if you follow these steps it may help address your problem too.
- Locate ‘my computer’ (or ‘this pc’)
- Right click on it and click on ‘manage’
- Locate ‘system tool’s within ‘local users and groups’
- Click on ‘groups’
- Right click on ‘administrators’
- Click on ‘add to group’
- Then click on ‘add’
- Click on ‘advanced’
- Click on ‘find now’
- Double click on ‘local service’
- Locate ‘NT authority\local service’ and click OK
Close the window and restart your computer.
Having a computer system with no sound can be a big concern. It can significantly affect your user experience. If you are facing the Error Failed to Play Test Tone Windows PC Speakers Issue, make sure to follow the above-mentioned steps to fix the problem.